"Practical, insightful and pragmatic. Founded on solid business experience of facing up to SD challenges."
PCSB is especially targeted at current and future business leaders, particularly those in mainstream business roles, although we welcome applications from those in other sectors who are interested in sustainability in a business context. The programme is uniquely designed to encourage participants to go beyond the practical application of tools and models, to develop insights and world views that make business sense of sustainability, and empower leaders to bring about organisational change.
The programme content is explored predominantly through the three workshops, which take participants on a journey: first building their awareness of key sustainability issues and their relevance to business; then deepening their understanding of the global context in which they operate; and finally exploring practical approaches to achieving change in their organisations. Each workshop provides a mixture of expert input and commentary, intensive group discussion, facilitated project planning and review, opportunities for peer support, and informal networking between participants.
The content is taught using CPSL's distinctive, collaborative learning approach with a strong emphasis on learning from shared experience and best-practice in relevant sectors and other industries. Project-based learning to support strategy development and implementation is a key feature of the programme, as is the opportunity to engage and collaborate with a world-class network of contributors and practitioners from business, NGOs, academia and government, who combine expert perspectives with real candour and constructive challenge.
At the end of the course, participants can expect to have covered some of the key business challenges of the 21st century, including:
- Defining the boundaries of corporate responsibility in relation to today’s global challenges;
- Devising and implementing effective approaches to socially responsible business, which at the same time encourage innovation and competitiveness;
- Responding to the diverse social, environmental and economic expectations of stakeholders and society at large; and
- Identifying the critical skills and experience that will enable an organisation to achieve its sustainability objectives.
"Absolutely the best course I have been on in a long time – the challenge is now for us, the candidates, to move the agenda forward in our own business."
Participants successfully completing the programme will:
- Gain a Postgraduate Certificate in Sustainable Business accredited by the University of Cambridge;
- Deepen their understanding of how sustainability issues impact on their sector, their organisation and their role;
- Develop the means to articulate the business case for sustainability, whilst balancing stakeholders' needs;
- Analyse global business challenges, responses and organisational change;
- Build confidence to discuss emerging trends and issues which affect the business agenda with senior colleagues;
- Explore best practice and learn collaboratively with other professionals with different perspectives and experts in the field;
- Enhance their skills and experience in embedding sustainability in mainstream business operations and driving organisational change.
- Become a member of the Cambridge Sustainability Network, which includes over 4,000 CPSL alumni, faculty and contributors from around the world, who are leading the way in turning sustainability thinking into practice.
What our alumni think of PCSB
We recently surveyed our PCSB alumni and, based on over 60 responses, here are some of their insights into the value of the programme.
Each of the three residential workshops provides a mixture of expert input and commentary, intensive group discussion, facilitated project planning and review, opportunities for peer support, and informal networking between participants.
Sample Workshop Content
(Click to enlarge.)